More due date relief for California taxpayers - DEADLINES PUSHED OUT TO 10/16/2023
Update: As of March 2, 2023 California has announced conformity with this new deadline of October 16, 2023 for impacted taxpayers. See additional details here.
The IRS previously announced an extension to May 15th, 2023 but has now extended the due date to October 16th, 2023 for the filing of various business and individual tax returns and for certain tax payments.
Taxpayers in disaster areas of California may tax advantage of these new deadlines. (See list of impacted counties below.)
In addition, if you live outside the disaster area but have a business in an impacted area, you may also qualify for relief. Consult your tax advisor or contact the IRS at 866-522-5227 to request relief.
Impact of these extensions on Federal Returns and Payments
- 2022 Individual Income Tax Returns - normally due on 4/15/2023 are now due on 10/16/2023
- 2022 Contributions to IRA and health savings accounts can be made until 10/16/2023
- Estimated income tax payments due 1/17/2023 for 2022 as well as 2023 estimates normally due on 4/18, 6/15 and 9/15/2023 are not due until 10/16/2023.
- Installment agreement payments due during the disaster relief period are suspended. Payments will be reinstated after the postponement period has ended.
- 2022 Business Income Tax returns normally due on 3/15/2023 are now due on 10/16/2023.
- Quarterly payroll and excise tax returns normally due on 1/13/2023, 4/30/2023, and 7/31/2023 are due on 10/16/2023.
Tax- Exempt Organizations
- 2022 Form 990, normally due on 5/15/2023 is now due on 10/16/2023.
Covered counties in California include:
- Contra Costa
- Del Norte
- El Dorado
- Los Angeles
- San Benito
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Mateo
- Santa Clara
Updated by the IRS on 2/24/23